17th August 2020 – 27th May 2021
Do you want to be an actor? Do you want to focus on developing your skills for a full year?
The new study program in acting is aimed at students who want to deepen their knowledge in the performing arts, but also those who want to develop completely new skills. The program is designed to give you a broad education in different aspects of acting. You can also use this program of study as a springboard for further studies in theater, film acting, music theater and so on.
During the year you will be able to develop your knowledge and skills in primarily theatre, but also dance and singing in a safe environment with experienced teachers and instructors. The year consists of a basic course in theatre as well as workshops and longer modules in other subjects. We will also have guest lectures from professionals in the industry and you get the opportunity to participate in various productions.
During the studies you will get to know different roles on and behind the stage. You not only learn about the actor’s work image, but also what the director, producer, production assistants and technical staff do. You also learn acting from an educational angle; how to teach theatre and help your co-workers develop.
The studies are mainly conducted at StepUp School in Helsinki, a creative environment in a lively cultural city.
The program director is the theater director and educator Jermo Grundström. After more than ten years on stage, Jermo got a directing degree at the East 15 Acting School (University of Essex). After that he has directed plays around Finland. He has also taught at the Tampereen Ammattikorkeakoulu (TAMK), the Skene musiikkiteatterikoulu and Uniarts in Helsinki.
The school year is split up into four main modules:
- The work of the actor – ca 300 h
- Body and communication
- Text analysis
- Scene studies
- Speech technique
- Physical theatre – ca 250 h
- The fundamentals of physical theatre
- Dance theatre
- Mask and mime
- Stage combat
- Musical theatre – ca 150 h
- Music theory and reading sheet music
- The history of musicals
- Singing and expression
- Choir and harmony
- Audition technique
- Film acting – ca 100 h
- Film acting (in the class room)
- Camera work (in front of the camera)
- Script work
- Post work (editing and directing)
- Voice acting and dubbing
- Casting workshops
The study program is bilingual (Swedish and Finnish). Some lessons are also taught in English, depending on the language skills of the teacher in question.
Goals for the year
- To develop as an actor, dancer and singer
- To gain a stronger self esteem and confidence as a performer
- To broaden knowledge of the acting industry in Finland and abroad, as well as make new contacts in the industry
The studies are generally full-time folk high school studies, 25×45 min per week.
Contact and further information
Jermo Grundström | Phone +358 (0)44 031 3234 | firstname.lastname@example.org
StepUp School / Ekogatan 4 A, 00530 Helsinki
350 €/month including teaching, lunch & afternoon coffee
More information soon.
Application periods and entrance exams
1st: 15.3-31.5.2020 (inträdesprov 11-12.6.2020)
2nd: 15.6-7.8.2020 (inträdesprov 11.8.2020)
Note the following:
- The education is mainly aimed at persons 18 or more, but younger than 18 can apply.
- Everyone who applies for the course will be asked to attend an entrance exam.
- The second application period will only take place if not all the places were occupied during the first application period.
Apply here! (Form in Swedish and Finnish)
We withhold the right to change the contents and offers in our courses and educational programmes.